Best methods to help flatten a tummy after a C Section

Options
It has been over 5 months since I had my little girl and I really am trying to get back below 200 and then only I've hit that goal I want to get to 150. My body is not made to be a stick, I just don't want to be grossly obess anymore and want to set a great example to my family and prove to them that yes I've been battling weight gain and lose for the last 15 years. But now with the help of getting some serious medical conditions under control I have the chance to really shed these horrible pounds and truely show who I really am.
I am going at a slow pace so that my body adapts and will keep off the weight, my biggest problem however is my stomach muscles. They have been cut and it's so hard to look at myself in the mirror knowing the rest of your body is shrinking while your stomach is closely staying the same. I am doing crunches, reverse crunches, bicycle crunches, the one where your on your hands and knees and lift your leg to your chest, russian twists and others. It;s frustrationg as hell, I was hoping any of you out there can help. What did you do to flatten your belly. I'm not looking for a quick fix, I want something that will perminately help keep my stomanch tone and if not totally flat at least reduce the pouch to where it doesn't make me feel so self conscious as I do not. I am constantly wearing spanks to hide my belly :(
PLEASE HELP!

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I had two C-sections and my kids are 13 and 15. I still have no feeling in my stomach. I got cut up/down the first time, and then a "bikini incision" with the second, so I have an upside down cross scar on me. (not to mention I still have horrible stretch marks)

Since I am obese myself, I don't have a solution for you, just empathy. My brain is telling me though, that crunches and side benders would go a long way if done consistently and gradually increasing repetitions. Someone else might have better advice.
  • AshleyLo_44
    AshleyLo_44 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    My biggest fear is the next time I have a child they are going to wanbt to go another C section instead of letting me try naturally. I only had the C section cause my doc did not believe me when I told him if he induces me she'd be coming a month early....well I was right and he was wrong. She was just so long and looking like she was at 9 months instead of 8....I blame her father's genes for that lol.
    The more they cut at your stomach muscles the harder it is to tone them to flat that area.
    It's so frustrating
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Ouch, that's rough but I've seen women with C-sections that have come back from it. First, you have to start with diet and make sure you're on a good calorie deficit. Since your muscles get damaged with the procedure you should try and incorporate some abdominal work into your routine to start re-building abdominal strength. Just start with some planks and leg-lifts. Other forms of strength training will help you as well because to do various lifts correctly you typically use your core to stabilize yourself during the lift. Best of luck to you.
  • fitmommy75
    fitmommy75 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I've had 2 c-sections. and my kids are 7 and 10. I tried so many things to lose weight and work toward that flat(ter) belly. Nothing worked for me. I had a lot of pain for several years after my last c-section so I was probably overly cautious. It wasn't until Fall 2010 when I bought Jillian Michaels dvds did I start seeing a huge change. I also started running back in February of this year. My belly is not flat, but it is getting close. I'm hoping the jiggle will continue to go away too! LOL
  • lauren3382
    lauren3382 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I've had 2 c-sections (my kids are 5 and 2) and I definitely wasn't back at my pre-pregnancy tummy 5 months out, so don't be too hard on yourself!! I breastfed both my kids and that did help me shed the weight pretty quickly, but it didn't completely flatten my tummy. The skin is definitely looser than it used to be, but I know that's not in my control. What is in my control is my diet. I can do thousands of crunches and ab work but I'll never have the flat tummy if I don't shed the fat layer on top. I like to remind myself that "abs are made in the kitchen"...seems to be so true for me!
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    I like to remind myself that "abs are made in the kitchen"...seems to be so true for me!

That's really true for anybody. Strengthening your ab's after your surgery will just help your day-to-day functioning. Having strong ab's also helps in support of your lower back too. You'll get to where you want to be over time. :)
  • laceylady1
    laceylady1 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I just had my 2nd csection 8 weeks ago. I'm trying to figure out how to get my strength back, loose weight, breast feed and care for a newborn all at the same time. Breast feeding doesn't seem to be helping me loose weight.
    Anyway I just wanted to let you know that you are not alone, friend me if you'll like.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    My youngest of 2 c-sections is 4. I am just now getting core strength back. You have to give it time. It has only been 5 months.
  • maroonmango211
    maroonmango211 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Keep it up. Its been over 2 years since I had my second, during the pregnancy I suffered abdominal separation, which reduced my core strength to nothing. I'm still waiting for a flat tummy and abs that work properly but I do know that from 2 years ago to now has been a huge improvement already. The exercises you are doing are slowly but surely doing their job, adding in some squatting movements and lunges may help as well to incorporate abdominal use when balancing in every day life.
  • Show_Stopper
    Show_Stopper Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    Hey doll I had a c-section the end of Feb this year and had several problems with it for the 1st few months however I am starting to see a difference already my profile pic is form last night and I do have a baby belly pic on my profile if you want to see how big my belly got it's do-able just takes time. Feel free to add me for support
  • AnitaVolpato
    AnitaVolpato Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I have had 3 C-Sections.. The first two were 16 and 18 years ago. They were from the navel down. Then I just had my 3rd September last year and it was bikini cut. It took this one longer to heal, I am still numb in the area and sometimes it itches. I am going to have a tummy tuck in the future after I lose about 30-40 lbs. That is the only way my stomach will look normal again. I have been to several PS and they all say the same. I have had skin hanging even when I was 100 lbs.. it will not go away and now that I am older and a bit larger its all filled with a layer of fat under it.... still hanging though.. Good Luck, everyone's body is different. I have had friends that had excessive skin and belly fat and lost it all. I am not one of the fortunate ones. I guess my skin lacks a lot of elasticity unlike others..
  • 17ChargerGirl17
    Options
    My last child was C Section 14 years ago.
    I didnt think that there was anything to do for that lower belly. But I asked the guy at the gym and he showed me a few things to do and one of them is definately not crunches. The crunches do no good if you have the fat layer on top.
    Make sure to do your Cardio. It doesn't target a certain area, but it works on your whole body, and does help in those area's where the fat is stored.. I am far from a flat belly, but am down 4 pant sizes and my "pouch" is a lot smaller then when I started.
    Good luck....
  • dynamicwon
    dynamicwon Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I had two c sections with a bikini cut. The first one was twins and the second csection was due to my daughters heart rate was going up to quickly so they had to take her going thru my same incision from the twins. Anyway Im at my goal weight and my stomach is still not flat but it looks pretty flat when I wear my clothes. My olbliques are very defined but getting the middle muscles to look good is hard. I know I could do better if I did more ab work and ate better but Im happy with just the appearance of a flat stomach in my clothes. As the weight came off my stomach came down to almost flat. I lost most of my weight by breast feeding after each pregnancy.
  • dynamicwon
    Options
    bump
  • lauleipop
    lauleipop Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    To have a flat belly, you need to lower your body fat. Period.

That being said, I couldn't get my stomach to flatten out, and then I started compound lifts (Stronglifts 5x5). I saw resultsin 2 weeks.

You're on the right track with core work, but if isolated core work doesn't give you what you're lookin gfor, consider lifting.
  • dynamicwon
    Options
    How many pounds do you lift?
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Hey girl! I have had 2 c-sections, my stomach is not flat yet, but it's closer today then it has ever been. My last c-section was 19 months ago.

Here are my before and after photo's

mechan.jpg

Then bare stomach The before here was not my start at all, it was the before the 30 day shred.
    menow.jpg

My stomach is not yet where I want it but like I said, it's getting close. I have done the 30 day shred, twice by Jillian Michael's (I strongly suggest it), I've done the first week of Power 90, I haven't finished it because the person who let me borrow it, forgot to lend me the other disk's, and he is searching for them, I'm currently doing Slim in 6. Working out is just part of it, a lot of it comes from the kitchen. I'm by no means a clean eater, I eat better now then I did before but food is the key, we need the right amount and like anything, to much of anything can be bad for us. Make sure you are eating the right amount of calories for your body.

BTW, I'm not 130lbs, that photo that says that, was before I found out that my scale is wrong. My scale is 10lbs off, I'm actually 140lbs, so I have 20lbs to hit my weight loss goal, but the body image part will probably take a life time. I have moments when I feel like the ugly pooch will never go away without surgery and trust me, I'm still thinking about a tummy tuck.
  • AshleyLo_44
    Options
    I have started adding in squatting and increased my number with sit ups, russian twists, and reverse sit ups. Need to wait a bit longer to add lunges in, they still kinda hurt to do since I'm short and not super flexible
  • AshleyLo_44
    Options
    Oh my gosh you look fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I know it's going to take a long time to get where I want to be but I know the slow and steady pase is the best way to go instead of a quick fix. That would do more damage to my body then help. I have begun to see a difference with 10 pounds gone in close to a month ago since I started. I have beenwanting to add photos to my post, how do I do that? lol

I have been focusing more on the inches lost from my body then the poundage cause the scale can alsways mess up but a measuring tape does not lie.
    Keep up the great work!!!!
  • MomBirner
    MomBirner Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    wow!! you look great!! such an inspiration, i look very much like your before pics. i hope one day i'll look like you. congrats!!